Saturday, February 28, 2015

To All My Single Friends

This statement "to all my single friends" for a long time would evoke an almost instantaneous eye-roll.  It never failed, start the sentence or even better yet tag me in a post and most likely I wouldn't indulge in the advice.  You know why?  This statement carries a lot of coded messages; one of which is my welling meaning friend, has some piece of advice that she wants to impart on me since I'm not part of the super exclusive club of coupledom.  This statement often feels condescending and out right RUDE.  However, I know my friends love me and what the best for me so I half-way listen. 

My piece of advice to friends, is to ask me what I want for my life before assuming I'm devoid of something.  Let's be clear, I think relationships are beautiful and hope to be in one some day, but not before it's time.  As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying the freedom of singleness, and won't be shamed into thinking there's something wrong with how I feel.  My truth, is that there is an ebb and flow with my relationship status.  Some days I want to be coupled and others I like the ease of only considering my feelings and wants.  So, again if you want to be helpful with your advice, ask me where I am in the pendulum swing of being single before shelling out of unsolicited advice.

Carry on....

No comments:

Post a Comment