Saturday, March 28, 2015

On taking risks

I have never been a big risk taker, ever. However, this week at a work conference I realized glaringly how true this observation is for me.  Throughout the week I watched as my colleagues networked and went to dinners with complete strangers or walked ahead of a group to get service when there was a clear line.  These behaviors while small made me realize how much I have fashioned my life into following the rules and not causing waves.  Initially, I thought there's no way this could be true, maybe I'm over thinking, because I'm inquisitive, I ALWAYS have questions.  But, asking questions isn't the same as doing things that make me uncomfortable. 

After lots of consideration I realized not taking risks protects me from failure, rejection and disappointment.  I do what's comfortable because I have a good idea of the outcome and staying in my lane allows for some control.  If I could insert an eye roll I would here.  I know intellectually that I don't control anything in my life, but I live my life by making strategic choices to mitigate negative consequences.  Hence, why I don't take risks.  Would my life be different if I started taking risks?  Maybe not, but I would rather find out and move beyond a controlled life where I always weigh how uncomfortable I will be if I do this thing.  I want to fully enjoy life and not be paralyzed from failing at new or different things.  I want to stop living in my head and well actually live.  Don't worry I won't break any laws, but I do intend to explore and test some boundaries I've installed over the years for myself.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment