Sunday, June 28, 2015

Do I understand what I believe?

After the SCOTUS ruling on marriage equality two things happened on my social media, a flurry of support/elation and the converse of dissention.  I'm not naïve that any decision would be met with all support, but what I found to be the most fascinating is the use of biblical rationale for the opposition.  Because I'm naturally introspective, I of course began to question my faith. 

I am a devout Christian who tries to live out my faith daily, some days my actions/responses are an outstanding representation of the Christian faith and there are the days I would rather not speak of.  However, when I see my Christian tribe spew hate I stop to think, how are We practicing from the same doctrine?  I do not claim to be a theologian, but because of this tugging on my heart I believe strongly, this is God's way of saying I cannot live out the word without understanding the word.  Therefore, I must be able to understand (because that's who I am) what God truly said about how he intended His children to live out our lives when it comes to marriage.

I think the calling then becomes for me to engage those who oppose the union of all marriage and seek out what the word says.  As I type these words I feel a bit of anxiety, because I would rather read a good book, or work on my novel, or maybe work on my dissertation, rather than what I'm about to do.  Ultimately, I hope through this interaction I will be able to increase my faith, by seeking the truth.  My hope is that I will be able to find and explain that God is not divisive and speak truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment